Raised In Conformity


Raised in conformity 
my mind was not allowed the ability to freely think. 
With the freedom to think, process and come to conclusions for myself it's something I still at times sit in awe of.

I'm having one of those moments.

It takes me time to process words, phrases, and statements that I'm not familiar with or have just never heard.

When I hear someone say "politically correct" my mind produces irritation and confusion. What I really want is for the person standing in front of me is, to take off their mask and be honest with me.
I like dialogue.
I like hearing things from different perspectives.

Raised in conformity
I was not allowed to share what I was processing in my brain,
especially with those in authority over me.

I had to comply with the rules and standards in place.

I believe
in freedom of speech.
I believe
when we speak it should be
in love
in truth
in kindness
and
respect.
I believe
we can walk away still believing in what we each stand for.

I believe I should not speak
with the intent demanding you walk away with my view.
I believe I should not speak
with an agenda at hand to make you conform to my way.
I believe I should not speak
with annoying relentlessness so that I get my way in the end.
I don't like herd mentality.
I don't like conformity at the expense of everyone else having to keep quite.
I don't like condescending tones.

I'm okay with passive. (my husband)
I'm okay with aggressive. (me)
I'm not okay with passive aggressive.

In our day and age we can express our freedom of speech
daily, hourly, minute by minute.

Out of the same mouth comes blessing and cursing
and this should not be so.
Death and life are in the power of the tongue.
I want what I say to be good and helpful and not abusive and foul.
I want my words to encourage and lift you up.

This past week my mind has been swirling on three topics that I have seen in the news:

Blackface

Congress women wearing white at the State of the Union address

President Trump's speech at the National Prayer Breakfast.


Post 1 of 4

James 3:10, Proverbs 18:21, Ephesians 4:29


No comments:

Post a Comment