Blackface

What is Blackface?

I'm 44 years old and it's the first time I've ever heard the word.

I first heard the word this past week on the news regarding 
Governor Ralph Northam of Virginia. 
I saw the picture that showed me what blackface is.
 Governor Ralph Northam (blackface) next to someone dressed up in KKK attire.
Oh but wait he retracted that confession and proceeded to 
confess dressing up as Michael Jackson at another time.

I have little to no tolerance for
denial
lying by omission
flat out lying
and putting things under the umbrella of
"I really don't recall."

In my little tolerance I pray for God to fill me with His forgiveness and grace.

Days later Attorney General Mark R. Herring 
acknowledged that he had worn blackface at a party.

I began to hear things and see things from what I will call the 
WHY side.

Why is it offensive?
Wait, what's wrong with blackface?
People have done this at Halloween for years, 
it's a costume what's the big deal now?
Stop political correctness!
It's a joke.

I began to hear things and see things from what I will call the 
You shouldn't have to ask WHY side.

I'm shocked.
I'm sick about it.
I'm disappointed.
It's offensive.
The Governor needs to resign.

Then I see a photo with 
Ted Danza (blackface) with Whoopi Goldberg by his side and she seems okay with what he is doing in his blackface.

What do I think?
How do I feel?

I have the freedom now to come to my own conclusion.

From the Why side the words that jump out at me are:

Costume
Stop political correctness
It's a joke.

A costume is:  
An outfit worn to create the appearance of a particular 
period, person, place, or thing

Stop Political correctness: 
When I hear someone say "politically correct" my mind produces irritation and confusion.  What I really want is for the person standing in front of me is to take off their mask and be honest with me.  

Don't lie by omission be honest.

It's a joke: A joke by definition is something said or done to provoke laughter
the humorous or ridiculous element in something
something not to be taken seriously : a trifling matter
often used in negative constructions

Ask yourself are my actions and words good and helpful and do they encourage and lift up the person I am portraying?
Could I potentially cause hurt or harm now or in the future towards someone by my words or actions?

From the You shouldn't have to ask WHY side:

Enough said. 

You shouldn't have to ask why.

Blackface original origin:
"Its American origins can be traced to minstrel shows. In the mid to late nineteenth century, white actors would routinely use black grease paint on their faces when depicting plantation slaves and free blacks on stage."


Know why you believe what you believe.
Be ready to always give an answer for what you believe and what what you stand for. 

And always remember

Out of the same mouth comes blessing and cursing and this should not be so.
Death and life are in the power of the tongue.
I want what I say to be good and helpful and not abusive and foul.

I want my words to encourage and lift you up.

Blog 2 of 4

1 Peter 3:15, James 3:10, Proverbs 18:21, Ephesians 4:29
https://www.vox.com/2014/10/29/7089591/why-is-blackface-offensive-halloween-costume

No comments:

Post a Comment